2) His first professional team was Mapei-Quick Step, back in 2000. He currently rides for Saxo Bank, and will through 2011.
3) His specialty is Time-Trialling. He rides alone, competing against the clock.
4) At present, he holds the third fastest prologue speed for the Tour de France, having maintained an average of 53.561 kph for 6.1 km in 2004.
5) He was born in Wohlen bei Bern, Switzerland, to Italian parents.
7) As of the 2009 Tour de France, Cancellara holds the record for the most stage wins by a Swiss national (eleven total, six in 2009 alone).
8) He has been the Swiss Time-Trial Champion six times (2002, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008)
9) He has won the Tour of California Prologue two years in a row (2008 and 2009).
10) In 2008, Fabian came in second in the Tour de France's final time trial. However, the winner of that event, Stefan Schumacher, tested positive for EPO - a performance-enhancing substance.
11) He won both Gold and Bronze in the 2008 Olympics, in the Individual Time Trial and the Road Race, respectively.
12) At 6'1" and 175 lbs, he is quite large for a cyclist. However, these are also contributing factors to his success as a time-trialist.
13) This year, he also won the Tour de Suisse.
Edited to add:
Fabian just won the UCI World Time Trial Championship, with a lead of almost one-and-a-half minutes!!!
Congratulations, Fabian!!! I love you, Spartacus!!!
14) He serves as the inspiration for the main character in my current WIP, "27 Stages." ;-)
Don't worry, I haven't forgotten.
Although for me, the previous pics were candy enough!
Still, I know what you're *really* here for.
It is a repeat pic, but I thought I'd keep it in the "theme" of today's topic, as it were.
So I give you the gent Fabian held at bay for six stages of the Tour de France: